Sunday, November 23, 2008

Using Your Scrap Fabric to create Christmas Presents

CHRISTMAS GIFTS FROM SCRAP FABRIC

I love this idea and have already collected the "trinkets" to make this I SPY BAG for my 2 yr old grandson. Great fast project and I hear it's a great car/travel toy to keep kids busy

Have you been seeing what they're charging in department stores for pillows? Use this paper piecing pattern (or really, ANY quilt block pattern!) and make a stunning one-of-a-kind "designer" pillow your friends will think you spent big bucks for!

All right - this is WAY too easy for something so pretty!!! I'm making one of these for my kitchen! A beautiful area rug made from your scraps! You have to see this to believe it.

When my kids were young (mumblemumblefrizzlefrazzle) years ago, they loved it when I decorated their lunch bags. How about a personalized decorated lunch bag for the young'uns on your list? Love 'em!

Do you have a quilter on your gift list (and if not, I'll volunteer!)? Here's a great "ironing pad ensemble" for taking to quilting class!


QUICK SCRAP QUILT PATTERNS (free, of course!)

Blocks in a box - http://ajpadilla.com/patterns/just-kids/rock-a-bye-baby/blocks-a-box

Nice "spinning pin wheels" style block - great for 30's and 40's fabrics - http://www.diy-moms.com/shop/patterns/Diy-moms.com_Summer_Mix%20pattern%20free.pdf

Fast strip-piecing pattern - http://www.diy-moms.com/shop/patterns/DIY-moms.com-American_Squares.pdf

Fast quilt? Make some 9 inch squares, grab some fusible web, and use these Christmas applique patterns!

This is definitely not a quilt for beginners, simply because of the lack of detailed instructions. But check out this gorgeous truly scrappy quilt - the more variety in the scraps the merrier!

Ohmygosh! Do you have a dog-lover on your gift list? Or a child that loves dogs? This is one of the sweetest dog patterns I've seen and your use of scraps will determine the various dogs personalities! Love it!

This patchwork quilt is called a "Quick Charity Quilt" -- this time of year you can call it a "last minute Christmas project". Very simple, fast, scrappy - just the way I like it!

Any Harry Potter fans on your gift list? Here is a remarkable collection of Harry Potter paper pieced block patterns: http://www.sewhooked.org/paper%5Fpiecing/hp_paper.html

They call these "Bug Jar Quilts" but I've seen them done using fruit and vegetable fabric in the "jars" and called "Granny's Cupboard". Either way, an excellent way to use up some of your kind of weird "what was I thinking" fabrics:

I have a tendency to want to "try" (aka BUY) all the newest gadgets, and last year it was iron-on bias tape. I forget now why I bought it, and three rolls sit up in my quilt room. Well, wow wow wow -- take a look at this Christmas Light table runner (click on Project 3)! A fast project if you have some of this fusible tape squirreled away!

This is what I like to call "assembly line quilting" -- you cut out rectangles, all the same size, and zip zip zip, sew them together in pairs and very quickly you've got a gorgeous quilt!

OTHER QUILT PATTERNS

This is a *must bookmark* web site!! Check out these FREE stained glass quilt patterns - stunning - from Paned Expressions!

TUTORIALS (Step by step instructions with photos)

Classic (and nice and roomy) tote tutorial


Tea Wallet (great when you are giving Gift Cards!)

Clothespin bag tutorial

Garden Tool Belt (use masculine fabrics for a homemade gift for men!)

How to Paper Piece VIDEO Tutorial