Monday, April 20, 2009

Using Glad Press n’ Seal in Your Quilting

You’ve probably heard of using Glad Press n'Seal as an appliqué placement sheet, but here's a list of other things you can do with it as well! Budget-wise, Press n’ Seal can be a cost-savings alternative to more expensive quilting and sewing products.

From http://www.1000uses.compressnseal

"I use Press'n Seal in place of tear away stabilizer in my embroidery machine hoop... it holds the fabric in place and the extra can be easily removed after the design has stitched.. Since Press'n Seal can be used in multiple ways this is a more appealing product to buy than the single purpose tear away stabilizer."

"Draw a quilting pattern on a piece of Press'n Seal wrap. Overlay with another piece. Lay on top of quilt. Machine quilt through the wrap and the quilt. Remove the wrap."
"Keep spools of thread neat. Find the loose end of thread easily by tacking it down with a small strip of GLAD Press'n Seal wrap."

“I use Press'n Seal to seal up used paper patterns pieces to keep them together.”

"Make templates on the copier (by increasing or decreasing designs) and trace the quilting pattern on to Press'n Seal. Place the traced Press'n Seal on a finished quilt and use a needle and thread to quilt the design on the quilt. When you are done, just tear away the Press'n Seal!"

"Quilting patterns can also be traced on to Press'n Seal and then placed on top of your quilt. When your finished quilting the pattern the Press'n Seal lifts right off!"

"I use Press'n Seal Wrap to make machine quilting (free motion quilting) easy. Upon completion of my quilt blocks, but before machine quilting, I position a piece of Press'n Seal onto the right side of my quilt block(s). Then, using a fine point permanent marker, I draw on the quilting designs I want to machine stitch. I stitch, following the lines, then peel and tear away. Perfectly placed machine quilting!"

"When working on a quilting project with lots of small pieces, I separate all the pieces for each quilt square into piles as I rotary cut. I place each pile onto a piece of GLAD Press'n Seal, and stack the layers of Press'n Seal squares together. That way I can keep the small pieces together and organized, and don't lose anything. I peel off a layer as I sew, and use the pieces in that layer. Once all the individual squares are finished, the quilt's a breeze to put together."

“I cut out several sewing projects at one time and use Glad Press'n Seal to store each one of them with all of the notions needed until I am ready to sew them. On those rare occasions when time allows and the feeling hits me to sew, I no longer have to spend time gathering everything related to my sewing project before I sit down to sew. Everything is organized and I can get started right away.”

“Keep spools of thread neat. Find the loose end of thread easily by tacking it down with a small strip of GLAD Press'n Seal wrap.”

“I was cleaning my grandmother’s hand me down sewing box and there were little pieces to organize such as buttons and beads and little tiny pieces of sew on decorations. I found that glad Press'n Seal wrap was the perfect solution as I could stack items that were meant to be together and they are an easy find when needed.”

Here are some tutorials using Press n’ Seal!

Use it for Hand Quilting

Use it to Transfer Embroidery Designs

Use it to Mark Quilt Designs (combined with pounce pad)

Use it to Audition fabric and lay-out of Quilt

Use it for Thread Painting

3 comments:

FabricsNQuilts said...

I love this post! What an AHA! moment!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Thanks so much for all these hints. I have this product in my kitchen, and am definitely going to move it into my sewing area!

Anonymous said...

As an experiment, I tried using the Press and Seal on a practice quilt sandwich. On one test piece I marked my design with a ball point pen on the next one I used a thin Sharpie permanent marker. Both times there were some pen marks left on the fabric when I tore the Press and Seal away. I tried using pencil to draw on the plastic wrap, but it was too light. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried 2 layers of wrap?